The cost accountant will be part of a small cross functional finance providing support to all other departments in a small but rapidly expanding biotech company. This individual will be responsible for ensuring products and projects are costed in conformance with the company’s policies and will have a visible presence within the organization. As a small company, the duties of this position will be broad, and the successful candidate will also support other finance functions as needed.
- Responsible for monitoring and reviewing closed production work orders daily.
- Verify that products/projects are costed in conformance with company policy and all variations are researched and explained as needed.
- Responsible for monitoring production labor and assuring it is correctly applied to projects and BOM’s.
- Work with supply chain staff to help drive costing and inventory process improvements.
- Review and report on expected vs actual cost variances and provide explanations when needed.
- Compile, review & distribute costing and production related reports.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports and analysis.
- Coordinate with supply chain and production departments to identify obsolete and slow-moving stock and ensure appropriate reserve entries are made.
- Coordinated periodic physical inventories routinely and make inventory adjustments to ensure accurate inventory reporting.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Desired skills and background
- 3-5 years of accounting experience, preferred with inventory and cost accounting experience in a GMP manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge and an understanding of the budget planning process
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Ability to understand and identify key drivers and evaluate changes.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel and other database tools
- Strong data extraction and analysis skills
- Solid experience using ERP, SAP preferred.
- Previous experience with process improvement projects
- Strong analytical skills, problem-solving, and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities effectively.
- Ability to apply knowledge of GAAP & Cost Accounting
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Vernal is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the value of diverse, multifaceted approaches towards innovation and aim to incorporate diverse perspectives and experiences. We strive to build a safe, welcoming, and inclusive work culture.
At Vernal, you will offer knowledge-based solutions to help us address the growing demand for mRNA, lipid nanoparticle (LNP) mRNA, drug screening, and ultimately clinical supply of mRNA. Together, we will create the most integrated solution for mRNA vaccines and therapeutic R&D. Vernal will become the only one-stop-shop for our clients’ and partners’ mRNA needs, from concept all the way to clinical trials. The mRNA research associate or scientist will develop methods to synthesize, purify, and scale up mRNA. As a startup, we are seeking adaptable, creative thinkers who can independently foresee gaps and opportunities and who take the initiative to solve problems with a sense of urgency. We expect the work to be rewarding, fast-paced, and to offer ample opportunities to plan and create new solutions to help grow our business. Vernal will pay a competitive salary with generous benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance. Although hiring level will depend on experience, we expect to grow with our employees and are interested in a variety of backgrounds.
Vernal Biosciences is located in Colchester, Vermont, adjacent to Burlington which is home of the University of Vermont and the UVM Medical Center. Check out https://www.helloburlingtonvt.com/ for more information. The Burlington area, set on the shores of Lake Champlain, features the best of two worlds:
- Multicultural hub with great schools, restaurants, breweries, shopping, arts, and an affordable cost of living
- Gateway to the Green Mountains including world class hiking, camping, bicycling, and alpine and nordic skiing
Please contact [email protected] with CVs or for more information putting the job title in the subject line