The position will see the full breadth of the business, including technical, operations, and financial at the center of a successful, Vermont-based biotech. Develop and implement a data-driven framework to reveal and analyze complex relationships through machine learning. This is both a hands-on and strategic role where you will have the opportunity to advance Vernal’s bioinformatics/computational sciences function. You’ll connect your experience in computer or data science, or bioinformatics/computational biology, with technical and operational applications at Vernal. You will also operate as the business owner of the lab and inventory management systems, and work within (or beyond) the system’s existing artificial intelligence functions. We are seeking someone highly effective at communicating (e.g., analysis, project plans, escalations).
- Lead computational analysis of DNAseq and RNAseq datasets
- Partner with internal sequencing team to develop in-house long-read and paired-end sequence analysis pipelines
- Design architecture for data collection and cross functional use by multiple teams
- Configure and help maintain Research department LIMS
- Develop and deploy software tools to support day-to-day business processes
- Draft training SOPs
- Hands-on with sequencing QC, analysis, interpretation, and visualization (“pipeline”) commercial or homegrown software tools
- Use machine learning to create new basecallers for long read sequencing for mRNA codon optimization
- Leverage machine learning to develop software and tools centered on DNA/RNA sequence technology such as base-calling, codon optimization
- Create data reports around KPIs to drive continuous improvement
Desired Skills and Background
- Master’s degree or commensurate work experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, data sciences, or a similar field
- 1-3 years of experience in computational biology and/or data analysis including 2 years of hands-on work experience with real data (either in an academic or industry setting).
- Experience with many or all of the following: Python (including standard scientific computing libraries), R, bash/unix scripting, relational databases (SQL, PostgreSQL), Docker, software version control (Git), electronic laboratory notebooks (ELNs).
- Familiarity with Next Gen Sequencing (NGS) data analysis (RNAseq and DNAseq)
- High attention to detail including planning, executing, and documenting experiments
- Experience managing direct reports
How to Apply
If you feel that you are a great match for this position and want to make a difference in the exciting field of next-generation therapeutics, then reach out to us at [email protected] and be sure to include your resume and cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!
Vernal is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the value of diverse, multifaceted approaches towards innovation and aim to incorporate diverse perspectives and experiences. We strive to build a safe, welcoming, and inclusive work culture.
At Vernal, you will offer knowledge-based solutions to help us address the growing demand for mRNA, lipid nanoparticle (LNP) mRNA, drug screening, and ultimately clinical supply of mRNA. Together, we will create the most integrated solution for mRNA medicines R&D. Vernal will become the only one-stop-shop for our clients’ and partners’ mRNA needs, from concept all the way to clinical trials. As a startup, we are seeking adaptable, creative thinkers who can independently foresee gaps and opportunities and who take the initiative to solve problems with a sense of urgency. We expect the work to be rewarding, fast-paced, and to offer ample opportunities to plan and create new solutions to help grow our business. Vernal will pay a competitive salary with generous benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance. Although hiring level will depend on experience, we expect to grow with our employees and are interested in a variety of backgrounds.
Vernal Biosciences is located in Colchester, Vermont, adjacent to Burlington which is home of the University of Vermont and the UVM Medical Center. Check out https://www.helloburlingtonvt.com/ for more information. The Burlington area, set on the shores of Lake Champlain, features the best of two worlds:
- Multicultural hub with great schools, restaurants, breweries, shopping, arts, and an affordable cost of living
- Gateway to the Green Mountains including world class hiking, camping, bicycling, and alpine and nordic skiing
Please contact [email protected] with CVs or for more information